Search This Blog

Saturday, November 26, 2016

"Dear Cousin Georgia"

I wasted no time in getting in touch with cousin Georgia. In my letter I told her all about my interest in family history and how much I would appreciate it if she could send me any information that I could use for my paper. In a few months time I received her reply in the mail:

August 18, 1966

"Dear Randy,
I was so glad to hear from you. I am always delighted to hear from, or meet, anyone interested in our family history. I am going to send you the data that I have on George Hill and hope you will send me any additional information you may have in return.
George Hill was born in Saxony, Germany in 1826..."

Over the next four pages of her letter, cousin Georgia proceeded to share the information that she had on the Hill family. She told me how the family settled in Industry, Texas near the start of the Civil War and named the general area in Germany where the Hill family was from. Georgia also provided information about George Hill's service in the confederate army and his subsequent capture and parole.

It was a wealth of information which at the same time raised more questions that I had to find the answers to.

No comments:

Post a Comment